The market of wearable devices is burgeoning and promising. With shipment forecasts at 12,16 million units in 2019 versus 45,7 million units in 2015 according to IDC (source: IDC Worldwide Quarterly Wearable Device Tracker, March 2015), it is an appealing new revenue stream for both consumer electronics manufacturers and fashion industry players (jewelry, clothes, etc.).
Competition is fierce and available products are very diverse: from smart watches to smart glasses, wristbands and accessories, standalone or paired with a smartphone or a tablet. The field of innovation seems infinite but the wearable makers will face several challenges in the coming months:
- How to create a "must-have" device, that stands out among so many others available on the market?
- How to make sure the next generation of wearable devices will be worn by the end-users for longer than 3 months?
- How to guarantee data privacy to your customers?
Add value for your consumers with security, NFC and cellular subscription management:
Gemalto offers innovative solutions to bring more value to end users with new use cases based on security, NFC and cellular subscription management. These will give device makers keys to differentiate their wearable devices in such a competitive landscape and reach specific markets e.g. enterprise segment.
- Contactless payment
- Access control (transport ticketing, events)
- Secure online authentication and payment
- Biometrics-based solution
- OTP authentication (one-time password)
- Password companion
- Two form-factor authentications (FIDO compliant)
- Enterprise / BYOD use cases
- Secure email (encrypt/decrypt/sign)
- Digital signature of documents
- Strong authentication to a specific secure zone
- Connectivity management to cellular networks